Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Equality and Understanding

So this is more of a two part post.

Equality


When I hear equality, I automatically think of rights going to LGBT individuals and couples. Obviously I see this as something very important in my life and my friends, but when the word seems to be coined to one group, it reminds me of what one of my straight guy friends says.

"I don't think it is fair that gays got the sole rights to the rainbow. I like rainbows, but if I use them, then people think I'm something I'm not [so no a direct quote, but you get the idea]."

So, my thought process is this...If when we work on equal rights for those who need them, we focus on everyone who deserve equal rights.

One example: Depression is a true illness proven time and time again. What if someone asked for some time off from work for depression? Especially if they asked for it because it was causing self harm and interfering with work. Well, I asked that question, and I was told that I would only be allowed to take off for medical appointments.

Let's say someone has a surgery and they are recovering. They could take an easy 6 weeks off with out a blink of the eye and most likely with out anyone asking for a doctors note.

What if they were told well, you could work, you would just have to be in severe pain while at work. You might not be able to perform as well, but we will just hold you accountable for that. Even, if they were told, being at work might slow your recovery, or possibly make it worse.

I feel like this is what I am being told. One of the supervisors I confided in yesterday said I was just using my depression and anxiety as an excuse.

I hope that the GLBT community not only works for their equal rights, but those in other categories experiencing the same denial of rights.

Understanding


So, one thing that I see also too often is when people understand something new, they want everyone else to understand it.

Example: LDS converts are known to make the best member missionaries. They have that "convert fire" to go out and tell all their friends and family, sometimes almost demanding they understand the truth.

I right now and understanding how someone with the medical condition of depression can sometimes be treated unfair.

We as a MOHO community filled with many recently out Mormons understand that rights are not equal and that needs to change. We understand God's love for us for who we are, not what a culture wants us to be. I think because we understand it, we want to hurry and help everyone else understand it quickly and than accept us.

For myself, I am realizing this doesn't always happen. I had 13 years to understand it, and come to my conclusions. These conclusions I came to mostly because they were so close to home. For me to expect someone else to have my same understanding would be unfair.

I am just grateful when people try to understand and love me. Hopefully with in another 13 years the people closest to me will all get it, but I will be patient.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

What a great observation. Understanding will come, just remember it just takes a minute!!!