Sunday, October 18, 2009

"It's Your kindness Lord, That leads us to repentance"

So, I was listening to my Jars of Clay Pandora station today because I have a hidden love for Christian Music. One song came on that really hit me. It is called "Kindness", by Chris Tomlin. One part really hit me while listening...

Open up the skies of mercy
And rain down the cleansing flood
Healing waters rise around us
Hear our cries Lord let 'em rise
Open up the skies of mercy
And rain down the cleansing flood
Healing waters rise around us
Hear our cries Lord let 'em rise

It's Your kindness Lord
That leads us to repentance
Your favor Lord, is our desire
It's Your beauty Lord
That makes us stand in silence
Your love
Your love
Is better than life

We can feel
Your mercy falling
You are turnin our hearts back again
Hear our praises rise to heaven
Draw us near Lord
Meet us here
 Am I sounding a little too Southern Baptist? Well, sometimes, I think other Church's have the love of God thing better down than we do. It really does make me repent more long term when I feel God's love rather than the fear of losing my temple recommend or the oppurtunity to partake of the sacrament to renew my covenants. I do understand the principle of worthiness and support it, but at the same time, I wish we were more focused on feeling God's love no matter what and I think we would change for the right reasons.

I have a friend from work and she is not LDS but "loves Jesus". This girl is so loving even though her road has been rough. She always is there to love everyone and will give the best counsel. I was stressed about money and she said, "Chris, trust God with your money, and everything will work out". This made such an impact versus the normal, "Are you paying your tithing" comment I have received before. They both mean kind of the same thing, but one is about love and the other about simple obedience.

I join with my loving Coworker and say, "I love Jesus, and want to be the best me, for Him."

1 comment:

Joey said...

First of all, there are others out there who love Christian music as well. Have you heard Chris Tomlin's "I Will Rise"? Awesome.

We have to remember that our churches are run by mortal men. While the purpose of the church is to praise and serve God, the leaders of our churches have their own prejudices just like anyone else.

Not being Mormon, I can only imagine the pressure put upon you to serve the church. Being Southern Baptist, I have a bit of an idea...especially where tithes are concerned. I always felt great pressure from my church to give, give, give.

Ultimately, I left the Southern Baptist church. I left because of some of the pressures I was feeling and some of the prejudices I was feeling from the church. (Please don't get me wrong, I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the SB churches, but they were not for me.)

The church is a place to go to worship God and serve God, but that can be done outside the walls of the church as well. Honestly, my relationship with God is stronger now than it has ever been. I attend a non-denominational church that is perfect for me. There is no pressure...only a feeling that you are welcome.

Well that is my perspective anyway.

Take care!
- JC