Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"I have a dream"

So Scott's last post has made me think a lot. I even had a very open conversation with a very straight friend on the subject which seemed to apply to her just as much if not more to her than me.

While reading comments and thinking, I keep feeling this parallel to the Priesthood revelation. I do know these are very separate issues, but I still can't get it out of my head.  If people didn't talk about equal rights no matter the color of their skin would the world have been prepared for that revelation?

Ghandi taught that we mus be the change we want to see in the world.

If we receive personal revelation that effects how we are to live our lives, then I feel like we can explain that to someone trying to understand our choices. Like on a blog.

If we want the world to be a better place, we must be agents of change.

Sometimes it is saying what we least want to say, doing what we least want to do, what people least want to hear or see us do, that is the most right thing. When we do what we know is right.

"An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.

I cannot help but think what a change Scott is causing throughout the world through his honesty. He is not telling the world what is right or wrong, but posing his views. This challenges those to ponder, read, and pray. Going to God, and to reason, and to truth. This to find out what is right for them.  

Just as MLK had a dream, so do I. My dream is that people may feel love in their life. That they may know of God's unconditional love for them. I dream that people who are attracted to people of the same sex or the opposite sex may find true love. Free from lies, abuse, and obligation, but full of peace, joy, and goodness.  The world that I hope for and see is one where people would choose life over death and know of their individual greatness.

If we would all dream a bit more and allow for our truths to be heard, I know the world would much more quickly become a better place. Thanks to everyone who has the courage to do this...You are my examples and heroes!

 

3 comments:

Rob said...

You are catching on fast, Chris.

Good to be Free said...

Great post. Thanks for the insights.

BTW I voted for Washington, we need more cool people up here to hang with. ;)

Chris

Chris said...

If I could get a good job in WA, I would move there in a heart beat, for now it looks like the choice may be downtown.