Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Taking my own advice

So, I work at a treatment center with girls who have sexually offended. These girls are drama at times and complain about almost anything the others say. As a staff it can drive me nuts and then I give my talk hoping someday it will sink in. I encourage them to focus on self and have empathy for the one they are mad at. I told one a story of my cousin that shot a man. I asked her to describe what my cousin must be like knowing he shot and killed someone. She gave a typical response, "Wow, really? He must have been awful, mean, evil, just a bad bad person." I then gave her the full story. He is a police officer that had to take one man's life that was trying to take another. Instantly her face changed to a smile with some embarrassment. She had obviously misjudged my cousin not having all the facts. I explained how she did this with her peers and she understood the lesson quickly.

I find that as of late I am doing a lot of fault finding. Some of the great people in my life are the one's that I get the most frustrated with. I need to be better at understanding where people come from.

Tonight, a guy that I met almost a year ago started chatting with me. I had to look up who it was because it had been so long. He was this amazing guy that I spent many nights chatting with and we seemed to have so much chemistry together.  Then he dropped off the radar and I didn't talk with him since May of last year. He had ignored all attempts I had made to contact him. It was so weird. So tonight when he started trying to chat with me I was mad. Really, who does he think he is? But, we chatted anyway, and he had been dating a guy much of this time. Makes more sense why he would back away. It doesn't make his ignoring me right, but I can understand it. This understanding makes it easier for me.

I think maybe I will have a better chance at a relationship when I try harder to see people from where they see.