Saturday, March 6, 2010

Story time with Chris - Weakness

On my mission in a couple districts I was in, we had a block set aside know as Story Time with Elder Larson. I love relating stories to life. It makes it easier to go on. So I thought I would share a story that a missionary shared during a spiritual though one dinner appointment. I have been thinking about it a lot in regards to being gay.

One day a boy, who was born without a right arm, decides to take a karate class. The boy was nervous, and because of his disability was not sure he would be able to even participate in this ancient form of martial arts. When he walked in and explained his desires, he was quickly welcomed and taught his first move. He was instructed to practice the move for the hour he was there until it was time for him to return home. The boy did as he was told and returned the next day eager to learn more. When arriving, he was told again to practice that same move again for the day. This became the pattern as everyday for the next few months he was told to practice only this one move.

Finally the boy came in and the instructor asked him if he was confident in this move. The boy replied that he was indeed. With this reply the instructor told the young man that he was entered in the state karate championship. The boy was nervous that he only knew one move, but trusted his master, and arrived for the competition.

The boy started his first match, and by some miracle ended the round victorious. He was shocked and felt like this was a one time lucky shot. Into the next round, he won again. Third, fourth, firth, came with win after win. It was now down to the final match. Like all the others, he won again, now the state champion.

In shock and humility, he went to his master asking how this had happened. The Instructor replied, "In Karate every action has a equal counteraction. For the move I taught you, the counteraction is to grab the right arm."

Ether 12:27
27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their aweakness. I bgive unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my cgrace is sufficient for all men that dhumblethemselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make eweak things become strong unto them.


Sometime we look at being gay as a weakness when in reality God promises us that he will make weak things strong. I really like thinking about the things I like least about myself being the greatest tools in my life. Understanding them mean that I can get past the feeling weak in them and be happy for them.


I am so happy to be gay. When I think about it, it is what gives me tons of strength and motivation to be happy, to be better, and to love.



3 comments:

Jenn said...

Even though I haven't talked with you "live" in awhile I can feel how much stronger a person you are becoming.It makes me happy that you are happy. You deserve it.

Bravone said...

I like your stories. Please keep telling them.

Kiley said...

That story was great! Thank you. I am only just learning to really accept being gay, but already I have noticed that it has given me a lot of understanding and love for other people and their own personal struggles. Thanks for the uplifting thought!