Monday, March 8, 2010

Coming out to my cousin

So, when I was at home in California, I came out to one of my favorite cousins.

This is only the second person in my family I have told. The first was a family member who is an open Lesbian and has been for my while life.

It was interesting this visit to tell someone close who was so close growing up and have her accept me for it. I felt like we became so much closer with me telling her.

For the longest time I felt like coming out meant giving up who I was and who I wanted to be. Everyday living a more and more open life I am learning that being gay, sharing who I am, and feeling confident are the very things I needed to be to maintain the things I liked about me and really start growing into what I want to be.

The next person I come out to may need to be my mom. I wonder how that will look?

1 comment:

Bravone said...

I hope it goes well for you. You will be in my thoughts.