Sunday, January 17, 2010

Options for meeting Mr. Right...

Somedays I miss the good old fashion singles ward that makes dating easy (well easier).

Sadly there is not a Salt Lake City 469th Young Gay Single Adult Ward. This would be a place where you could be spiritually fed, have friends who don't judge your lifestyle (maybe your clothing choice), and the ward activities would help members in peculiar circumstances find their Eternal Companion.

Well, since that most likely will never happen, here are the options I have figured out...

1. Craigslist Personals:

When I first was exploring the idea of dating, I let my eyes wander over to the left side of the Salt Lake City Craigslist ads to see Men Seeking Men. I was somewhat surprised to find not so modest pictures of men from the valley, most not even showing their face. I also learned of new terms that I had to look up on Urban Dictionary. Of Course I thought I would be the exception to what these men were looking for so I posted an ad looking for friendship or maybe a LTR. I braved the waters to find that they were full of trouble that led me to feeling worse about my actions.

So Craigslist and other sites similar fail the test.

2. Online Dating (ex. Yahoo, Compatible Partners, Etc)

So, thinking this might be better I set up my profiles and started chatting. Holy awkward moments batman. I went on a couple dates after much work and paying stupid fees to find guys who didn't know what they wanted.

Dating Online so far is a FAIL!

3. Clubbing

I have not given this one a real chance, but the one time I did go, I felt so uncomfortable. My dad was an alcoholic, so being around people that are wasted is a struggle for me, plus I really suck at dancing so I am not yet confident I will meet Prince Charming while I am so uncomfortable.

Clubbing - Not fully explored but highly skeptical

4. Social Groups

I have heard of groups like simply social and others who just get a bunch of gay guys together to hang and do activities. This sounds like fun if I went with a friend or two.

Anyone have any experience on these groups? I would love to here the pros and cons.

5. Word of mouth

I think I hope that maybe someday someone will set me up with "him". This way seems kind of high school and really takes the power out of my hands, but sure would nice. I figure I am still pretty new to being out so if this is to happen I should given it lots of time.

So I guess I just need to be patient and keep exploring, but if anyone has any brilliant ideas they would like to share, please do.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't dating a pain in the gay world?

I think the best ways to go about it is either through social activities (for example, I joined a gay flag football league during the summer... think of a hobby that interests you, whether its sports, singing, etc. and see if there is a gay league or chorus in town), or through word of mouth. Word of mouth seems a bit frustrating, but I think one of the advantages of being fully out of the closet is its ability to provide dating opportunities through your friends.

El Genio said...

Big Red Hammer is always talking about his group The Escape, which sounds like a great way to make friends and find potential dates. And they are specifically alcohol and drug free.

Online dating is really a mixed bag. I have had some great experiences and a lot more meh experiences. Compatible Partners was not that great, you might have better luck with something like OKCupid or connexion.

The Wife said...

I was never fond of the dating game even as a girl in the straight world. I have found that when you aren't looking for love, it finds you. Good luck, and if I meet any available gay guys that are worthy of you, I'll send them your way!

Here's Spammy said...

How about this.... I find you a nice gay boy and you find me a nice straight boy.

Alisha Chase said...

Uh you don't need advice from me in this area.... Good luck! explore your options, some of them sound promising.